The Erie County, Ohio Sheriff's Office has issued a Level 3 Winter Weather Road Condition Advisory for Erie County.
All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists.
The City of Sandusky is preparing for a weather system predicted to bring the possibility of rain, freezing rain and snow to the area later this week.
In addition, we would like to make the public aware of the following snow and safety reminders:
- The weather forecast is calling for very strong and damaging winds, with wind gusts reaching 60mph. Please secure any loose items on your property before the storm hits.
- Fallen Power Lines: Report down power lines by calling 911. Keep your distance from any power lines as they could be very dangerous.
- Fallen Trees or Limbs: Report any down trees or tree limbs that are blocking roadways by calling the Division of Forestry at 419-627-5900.
Streets & Traffic
- During winter storms, Public Works crews focus on keeping the snow routes and major streets open through the duration of the storm. This allows essential and emergency travel around town even in the worst of conditions. Once the snow stops, the focus shifts to clearing the side streets and residential areas.
- Snowplow operators work hard to make roads passable, not perfect. All motorists should account for additional travel time during snow events and plan to GO SLOW while being mindful that plow operators cannot see directly behind their trucks and often stop or back-up. Keeping a safe distance behind a snowplow will protect you from possible injury and protect your car from materials that plows spread on slick roadways.
- Motorists are asked to pay close attention to Snow Emergency Routes throughout the city. In the event of heavy snowfall, a parking ban will be placed on Snow Emergency Routes by the Department of Public Works. Any vehicle parked on these streets during that time may be ticketed or towed. Click here to view the Emergency Snow Routes Map for the City of Sandusky.*
Sidewalks & Snow Removal on Private Property
- Many people rely on walking and transit as their primary way to get around, and without a wide, clear path through snow and ice, it is especially difficult for people with disabilities, seniors and children to walk safely. Please be mindful of your neighbors and remember that property owners are required to clear their sidewalks and adjacent sidewalk ramps during or immediately following winter storms. We strongly urge property owners to assist their neighbors who may not be physically capable of snow removal.
- Property owners who handle snow removal of parking lots and driveways are reminded not to push snow into the street or opposing tree lawn.
Ohio Edison Power Outages
- Ohio Edison is currently preparing for the storm. Power outages should be reported to Ohio Edison by calling 1-888-LIGHTS (1-888-544-4877) or by visiting www.firstenergycorp.com.
- The Warming Center at New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church (1920 Eddy Henry Way) will be open from 6pm-7am beginning Friday, December 23 through Monday, December 26. Call 419-204-2201 for more information.
Map of Emergency Snow Routes