- CITY COMMISSION
- ONLINE CALENDAR
- CONTACT US
- CODIFIED ORDINANCES
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
REQUIREMENTS AND REGULATIONS
Walls and fences shall require zoning clearance prior to the issuance of a building permit. A plot plan should be submitted to the Development Department showing location of the existing residence, street and proposed fence (height and fencing material to be utilized).
- Fences and walls may be permitted along the lines of a side yard to a height of not more than four feet (4') above grade and along the lines of a rear yard to a height of not more than six feet (6') above grade.
- No barbed wire, spike tips or electrically charged fences shall be permitted.
- On all corner lots, fences and walls proposed for construction within any setback adjacent to a public street shall be submitted to the Planner for approval.
- Where adjacent property lines, due to the configuration of the lots, have different provisions regulating the construction of fencing or walls, the most restrictive provisions shall apply where the fence would interfere with visibility from a driveway.
- Fences shall be permitted in the front yard provided that the maximum fence height is three feet (3') and that the fence is decorative in nature.
Non-Residential District (business, commercial and manufacturing)
- Fences in these districts shall be limited to a height of six feet (6').
- Front yard corner lot: Fences and landscape features may be located within a triangle by lines drawn between points on the front line and the side lot line of a corner lot twenty-five feet (25') from their intersection, providing the normal "sight lines" within a vertical height band of two and one-half feet (2 1/2') to six feet (6') above curb level is not substantially obstructed.
- The use of barbed wire on fences in the business district shall only be permitted with the approval of the Commission.
For questions, contact the Building Department at 419.627.5940.